Monday, May 11, 2009

Get away, recession, what you paid is what you get

The past few weeks, I have been feeling very tired and a need to get away from it all. I think being a stay-at-home mom is taking a toll on me. I am wishing to get away to a very remote quiet place like the poconos/the mountains and just do nothing or just go hiking - no phones, no TV, no newspaper, no crying baby to take care of.

And then it reminds me of the recession we are in and how nice it would be able to afford to buy a lot of things on discount…especially a second home. WAIT, we don’t even own a primary residence yet. As my husband always tells me, we have to own a primary house before we own a second home. Somehow, I like to own an investment property before owning our primary resident. I don’t see anything wrong with it.

Since we are on the topic of recession, there are a few interesting situations I came across the past week or two. I had to go to midtown Manhattan one weekday. While I was getting my metro card out I saw another young man (might be in his mid 20s to early 30s) was also waiting to get into the turnstile. And within seconds, the train came and I saw this young man who was well dressed went under the turnstile without paying and got on the train. There were some people around because it was in the afternoon on a nice sunny day. It made me wonder if he was just finish a job interview because he has been out of job for awhile? Did he think he was going to get caught and get fine? Did he care if he gets caught?

I went to do my laundry today. I found this place where I can do a double load (the smallest load) for $1.00 to wash (I’ll call this choice A). I’ve been there twice and I had no problems. Today, I got my wash done and then put in 4 quarters for the dryer. I usually put in 1 quarter to make sure the dryer works before I put in the rest of the 3 quarters for a total of 32-34 minutes. It was 8 ½ minutes per quarter in this place. I spent a quarter on parking for 30 minutes and the rest of the time, I sat in my car to wait for the laundry to be done. In total, I spent $2.25 to wash, dry and parked my car. If I go to the 24 hour laundry mat (I’ll call this choice C) with free parking, I would’ve paid $3.00 (1 load) - $5 (2 loads). If I go to yet another (I’ll call this choice B) place (free parking on the street) is $1.50 for a double load wash and the dryer time is the same (a quarter for 8 ½ minutes). However, today, I was not satisfied with my service in choice A laundry mat. I put in a dollar worth of quarters in the machine and walked away to my car for the rest of the time. I came back and found my laundry still wet. I asked the lady that worked there if the machine was working. She said yes, it did. She touched my wet laundry and didn’t offer me a refund. I packed up my laundry and walked out of there. I was upset at myself for not checking the dryer while in motion. I was upset at the service I received there that I would never get if I have gone to laundry mat choice B and C. Then I said to myself “What you paid is what you get.” I made up my mind the next time I go to the laundry mat will be choice B where I get free parking on the street and great service.

The lesson I learn today, don’t always go for the cheapest because what you paid is what you get!

No comments:

Post a Comment